Saturday, May 22, 2010

Team Carnival asks: my take on online friendships

This week's Team Carnival host Didi asks bloggers of their views on online friendships. This is quite interesting for me, considering that I participate in a handful of forums and online programs.

But truth to tell, since the first time I have joined chat rooms and forums since 2000, I have never met a single online "buddy." I've never been to any eye-ball event ever in my life, even if I have been invited countless times. Why? I don't know. Maybe because I'm too shy?

But do I believe that real friendships can be formed with people you only met in the virtual world? I think so. I've seen proof of that, especially in the forums that I've joined. The way some of them talk to each other, it's like they've already become best friends. Some people even found love on the Internet. So it's possible that real feelings can be formed and nurtured with your online friends.

In my case, though, I'm still not sure. Even after years of being in the online world, I can't seem to let people inside the real me. Maybe because I'm also afraid that the perception my online "buddies" have of me will change once they know the real me. So for now, I'll enjoy how I relate to my online "buddies." Hopefully, though, I may meet some of them -- and also hope that they get to like who I really am.

No comments:

Post a Comment